Thursday 17 August 2017

Jim Bolger


      I flew out to Ireland to see a horse trained by Jim Bolger a couple of weeks ago and it was quite an experience.  Jim Bolger is unique in the racing world.  He started out by owning and breeding which normally would be a very good way to the poor house – but he has made an enormous success of it, with some of the wealthiest people in the world investing with him and buying his classic winning stock.
       Some of the best people in racing have also started their careers with him including AP McCoy and Aidan O’Brien [who was champion amateur rider there].  They have learnt the job of training as well as conducting themselves properly and most of all respect for others.  It was great to be welcomed into his home and wonderful that he found time to sit down with me and chat about things in the past.  
       We then went over to his stud where he has 50 youngstock running around plus the broodmares all on wonderful pasture, they looked fantastic, I am sure this is where future soundness starts with good quality grass and feed whilst still growing; it really was 300 acres of dream land in the middle of Ireland.
       He also showed me his grass gallops which were a straight mile and a quarter long and about the width of 3 motorways, I won’t tell you which grasses he had planted as it might give away a secret. I also saw his 2nd cut of grass for hay or haylage coming along and try as I might I couldn’t see one weed.  
       I have to say Jim Bolger sets the standard - he is also a very kind and generous man who does a lot for people and charity behind the scenes.  I had mistaken the man and I will never judge someone again by what I see on TV. He clearly does not like the media glare, and prefers to be surrounded by his horses at home, horses are much easier than people!

No comments:

Post a Comment