Sunday 22 January 2012

Whip Rules

Jockeys had a meeting with the BHA on Friday regarding the whip rules and I hope the BHA doesn’t change anything.  I personally do not think they want to bring in more stewards discretion, as that will mean grey areas that we don’t want, it needs to be black and white and a set amount of hits and the firm penalties if you go over.
In my 14-year career as a jockey, I was done once for using my stick too much, when I was beaten a short head at Cheltenham.  I knew before the winning post that I would get done and the consequences of my actions, it was not difficult to work out.
To me the penalties are perhaps not harsh enough, for example yesterday at Ascot on Channel 4 racing (which goes out to a wide audience of which racing is trying to attract), Andrew Thornton rides a fantastic race to win on Tatenen.  Katie and I were cheering him on as he deserves it more than anyone but unfortunately he went over the limit for hitting the horse.  Andrew rides a lot for us and we love having him on board and there is nobody shrewder out there and this is nothing against him at all. But, as jockey’s do, he knew immediately after the race when talking to Alice Plunkett that he had gone over.  I suppose going into the race, which would most jockeys choose – maybe finish 2nd (and I say maybe because it is not proven if the stick actually makes a horse go faster or not) or go over the hit limit and win this big race on TV which is going to do a great deal of good for your career (plus it is for a big owner and if you win for him you may be asked to ride some of his other good horses even at The Cheltenham Festival??) and pick up a 5 day ban – I think I would choose the latter.
Situations will always arise unless the rules are black and white with very harsh penalties, or the whip is banned completely, apart from only being allowed to use the stick with both hands on the rein (slapping down the neck). 
I don’t think the stick should be allowed for corrective measures because again that will bring in grey areas and to keep a horse straight, the best thing is to keep both hands on the reins.  As soon as you take one hand off the rein to hit the horse, it has gone.  I can show you many examples of horses running straight until they are hit.
With Cheltenham coming up there will be jockeys breaking the whip rules because they still have more to gain for themselves and connections by winning and breaking the rules than losing and staying within them.

1 comment:

  1. Totally with you on whip use. We are sadly a few voices in the wilderness. I bet the jocks will be able to count to 8 when the ban period includes the festival. Well done with Outside the Box, a great effort

    ReplyDelete